Wednesday, September 30, 2009

INSPIRATION: two-color printing & dragons on wheels!

My children's book illustration-love tends to fall into the decades from the early 1930s to the end of the 1950s; however, I do make some exceptions! Like these drawings from "John Martin's Book: A Magazine for Little Children," published February 1916. I love two-color printing and thinking about publishing at the beginning of the 20th century.

a jolly jingle of numbers
Look at how dapper those freakin' pigs are!

little georgie
Limiting your printing to only a few colors forces you to think creatively about patterns and textures... Love this, especially that dragon on wheels!

"Spilling Food": a poem?
Who are these miracle children who don't spill food?! I surely haven't met them...

The amazing thing about this book/magazine is that a year's subscription cost $3.00 in 1916, which would be nearly 60 dollars today!

Anyway, that's all for now. I've been super busy, but I hope to update more, especially in the upcoming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Love the book!! Thanks for sharing these images!
    Few color printing is on my mind now...

    ReplyDelete