Monday, December 28, 2009

TOO MUCH TO HANDLE: part I

It's no secret that I adore vintage dishes. When I see a mug but I can't decide whether I want to make the 99¢ splurge on it, there is one thing that will typically make or break the purchase: The handle.

I have been known to rub handles against my face like an ultimate plush throw. Sometimes I see the handle on a nice vintage mug in a thrift store and audibly gasp from afar. Lately, I've been trying to figure out what it is about handles, what the magical math curve equation that makes some handles so attractive.

In trying to figure this all out, I've started taking pictures of handles I like. Originally, I intended only to photograph mug handles, but then I started to see handles on other things that looked oh-so good to me, too. So, here is the first installment of what will surely be way too many of "Too Much to Handle". I can't be the only handle admirer out there, right? I sure hope so.

too much to handle: part I
From upper left: Plastic saw from Archie McPhee, Fiestaware mug, Homer Laughlin mug, unmarked, gun toothbrush handle, unmarked, unmarked, Buffalo China restaurant mug, plastic-handled scissors.

Total number of times I said "handle" in this post: 12.

1 comment: